Once it gets rid of the air, the pump will continue to help the water move like a standard centrifugal pump. Now, the problem with self-priming pumps is that it cannot operate without water.
Priming a pump is one of the most important things you need to know before operating it. 80% of centrifugal pump problems arise due to a lack of not priming properly. The technique of priming simply means preparing something for an operation.
And, for a centrifugal pump to work, it needs to be filled up with water. Most centrifugal pump is not capable of pumping gases out and continue doing so will increase the chance of damaging the pump impeller.
Centrifugal Pumps uses rotational kinetic energy to aid the fluids to move through the systems. These can be used in light industrial applications, residential and commercial spaces.
Self-Priming Centrifugal Pump is idyllic for pumping slightly adulterated liquids with or without its solid parts. Once the pump casing is filled with liquid, pumping air from the suction pipe is extremely smooth.
There are multiple drive options available. And these are:
- PTO tractor driven
- Electric driven and
- Diesel driven
Advantages of Self-Priming Centrifugal Pump
- Self-Priming Centrifugal Pump can handle solids up to 3inches.
- When compared to a submersible pump, Self-Priming Centrifugal Pump has the ability to continuously pump the fluids while the pump is still positioned out of the pit.
- Self-Priming Centrifugal Pump can be used for the dewatering of construction and mining operations.
- They are suitable for applications requiring a higher level of hygiene, resistance to chemical attack and gentle treatment of the product.
- Self-Priming Centrifugal Pump can be used in the pharmaceuticals & chemical and food processing industries.
- They are particularly suitable for pumping liquids containing gas without losing its pumping capacity.
- High energy efficiency
- Carries technical superiority
- Easy to install
- Process reliability
- Low internal friction losses
- Partial gas supply
- Extensive performance curve characteristics
- Viscosity to 115 mm2/s
Hence, these pumps are suitable even for clean as well as slightly polluted liquids, for example, dewatering, irrigation, booster systems, water supply, etc. Centrifugal Pump which has been classified as self-priming, usually has a double seal with barrier fluid in the chamber between them.
The barrier fluid floods both the seal and provides the essential cooling and lubrication to guard them against scorching when the pump begins to start drying up.
You cannot start a Self-Priming Centrifugal Pump anytime even if it is dry on the inside. It should be noted that a Self-Priming Centrifugal Pump must have water in the casing at all times in order for it to function. Self-Priming simply refers to the pump’s capability to repeatedly turn an air or water mixture into a pump-able fluid and not make a vacuum out of thin air.